BAe and BBC War Propaganda 16:24 Jul 03 0 comments
US Admits Paying Terrorists For Services Rendered In Syria and elsewhere 23:04 Jul 02 0 comments
Action man adverts....if they were actually realistic! 00:30 Jun 25 0 comments
Initiate a World Peace Conference To: Mikhail S. Gorbachev 13:42 Apr 13 0 commentsmore >>
A bird's eye view of the vineyard
THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO A NEW LOCATION VINEYARDSAKER:
Breaking news: FALSE FLAG IN MOSCOW! VINEYARDSAKER:
PILA Seminar: The Duty of the State in Constitutional Cases? 7 July, Dublin Wed Jul 01, 2015 13:20 | GuestPost
The Greek Financial Crisis and the Rhetoric of Emergency Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:16 | Alan Greene
The Direct Provision Report: A Missed Opportunity Tue Jun 30, 2015 17:32 | Liam Thornton
The Direct Provision Report: Recommendations on Improving the Quality of Life for Protection Seekers Tue Jun 30, 2015 17:02 | Liam Thornton
The Direct Provision Report: Summary of Recommendations on Accommodation Standards Tue Jun 30, 2015 16:59 | Liam Thornton
For lefties too stubborn to quit
Chris Squire: 1948-2015 15:32 Sat Jul 04, 2015 | WorldbyStorm
Free SF stories online? 12:21 Sat Jul 04, 2015 | WorldbyStorm
Illegal music sharing 12:20 Sat Jul 04, 2015 | WorldbyStorm
This Weekend I?ll Mostly Be Listening To? Tom T. Hall 03:15 Sat Jul 04, 2015 | yourcousin
Independence Day 00:00 Sat Jul 04, 2015 | WorldbyStorm
Life should be full of strangeness, like a rich painting
THE WRATH OF KANE: BANKING CRISES AND POLITICAL POWER 09:32 Fri Jan 30, 2015
ALWAYS THE ARTISTS: WEEK THREE OF THE BANK INQUIRY 23:11 Thu Jan 22, 2015
FIANNA FÁIL AND THE BANK INQUIRY : SOME INITIAL OBSERVATIONS 21:04 Mon Jan 12, 2015
PETER NYBERG BANK INQUIRY EVIDENCE, 17 DECEMBER 2014 18:05 Sun Dec 28, 2014
For Some Vicious Mole of Nature: Making Sense of The Irish Bank Crisis 21:07 Fri Dec 26, 2014
YOUTUBE&REPORT -Solidarity with Afghanistan War Refusenik Michael Lyons - Colchester Military Prison
HOW YOU CAN HELP?
1) Solidarity letters/postcards can be sent to Michael Lyons imprisoned military resister/ Afghan War Refusenik You can write to Michael Lyons at this address: 236 Michael Lyons, D Company, MCTC, Berechurch Hall Rd, Colchester CO2 9MU. England
2) Michael Lyon's is presently being held in Colchester Military Prison. It is a 700 mile round trip for his wife Lilian to visit him. If you would like to make a donation to alleviate travel expenses for her, make a cheque out to "London Catholic Worker", write "Lyons" on the back of the cheque and send it to "Michael Lyons Support" c/- Giuseppe Conlon House, 49 Mattison Rd. Harringey, London N4 1BG
3) Sat Sept 3rd - Solidarity with Michael Lyons Vigil outside Colchester Military Prison When? Sat Sept. 3rd. 3pm-5pm Where? Outside the Military Corrective Training Centre, Berechurch Hall Rd. Colchester CO2 9MU (Vigil will be at the junction with Stoneacre Road at the entrance to the military detention facility). More Info? Call Ciaron 079 392 90576
REPORT BY BEN GRIFFIN "Veterans for Peace"
Agust 6th. - SOLIDARITY VISIT INSIDE COLCHESTER MILITARY PRISON
On Saturday 6th of August I visited Michael Lyons in Colchester Military Prison. He is currently serving a seven month sentence for refusing to carry out weapons training in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan. Michael had already applied for conscientious objector status. With me were Martin Newell from London Catholic Worker, Stephan Gillies a local activist and Jill, Michael's mum.
The visit lasted two hours and Michael was found to be in good spirits. He is being held with soldiers being discharged from the Army so that he can't "infect the others that are staying in the Army".
His main concern is the well-being of his wife Lillian is based in Plymouth. Michael is not being paid by the Navy whilst he is serving his sentence so his wife is struggling to meet the bills whilst working in a low paid job. She is also finding it difficult to make the long journey from Plymouth to Colchester to see Michael. (See details how to support Michael and Lilian above)
Michael is keen to become involved with the Peace Movement in the future. He has shown other servicemen with objections to the war in Afghanistan that they presently have a choice. Six months in Afghanistan taking part in the further destruction of that country or six months in prison with a clear conscience. As a veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan I know which option I would take.
Michael has a great sense of humour and is spending a lot of his time in prison in the library. When not in the library there is a lot of pointless ironing and cleaning to be carried out prior to inspections. This is just the sort of training that will be useful in civvie street to Michael and the others being discharged after their sentences!
Sat Augst 6th. - VIGIL OUTSIDE COLCHESTER MILITARY PRISON
Whilst inside a vigil was held outside the main gate to celebrate Michael's action and to encourage further resistance from inside the military. 27 people from London, Colchester and the surrounding area were present.
A shrine was erected by members of London Catholic Worker.
Giorgio from the organisation Payday http://refusingtokill.net/ spoke about the need for solidarity and inclusiveness in the peace movement in order to support refuseniks internationally.
Naomi from UK Friends of Bradley Manning http://www.ukfriendsofbradleymanning.org/ updated us on the persecution of Bradley.
Gwyn for the organisation At Ease spoke about the details of Michael's case and the work that she does in supporting soldiers who have a crises of conscience.
Ciaron O'Reilly of London Catholic Worker http://londoncatholicworker.org/ told of his own experiences of being in prison as a result of his peace activism. He also told us how valuable solidarity from the outside was in keeping him going whilst in prison.
Michael's mother Jill thanked everyone for supporting her son and told us how proud she was of him.
The local Stop the War convener told us about an upcoming march in London and about meetings they were holding
Martin and myself gave a report about our visit and encouraged others to write to Michael and visit him.
The visit and the vigil outside went very well. On the way back to London I phoned Michael's wife Lillian to let her know how Michael was doing. We are planning to go back at the start of September, more details to follow.
HOW YOU CAN HELP? 1) Solidarity letters/postcards can be sent to Michael Lyons imprisoned military resister/ Afghan War Refusenik You can write to Michael Lyons at this address: 236 Lyons, D Company, MCTC, Berechurch Hall Rd, Colchester CO2 9MU. England
2) Michael Lyon's is presently being held in Colchester Military Prison. It is a 700 mile round trip for his wife Lilian to visit him. If you would like to make a donation to alleviate travel expenses make a cheque out to "London Catholic Worker", write "Lyons" on the back of the cheque and send it to "Michael Lyons Support" c/- Giuseppe Conlon House, 49 Mattison Rd. Harringey, London N4 1BG
3) Sat Sept 3rd - Solidarity with Michael Lyons Vigil outside Colchester Military Prison When? Sat Sept. 3rd. 3pm-5pm Where? Outside the Military Corrective Training Centre, Berechurch Hall Rd. Colchester CO2 9MU (Vigil will be at the junction with Stoneacre Road at the entrance to the militarydetention facility). More Info? Call Ciaron 079 392 90576
Solidarity Homepage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxazNPBw8oo