Boycott Divest & Sanction the U.S. until fascist Trump regime is gone 19:32 Feb 22 1 comments
The Empire Files: ‘This Ship is Sinking’ Says Former Bush Official 22:59 Aug 28 0 comments
Milosevic exonerated, as the NATO war machine moves on 00:46 Aug 25 2 comments
Russian Diplomat Drops a Bombshell: US Expected ISIS to Seize Damascus by October 23:13 Feb 18 0 comments
“Humanitarian Lies”: Evidence Proves US Afghan Hospital Attack Was Deliberate 22:06 Oct 19 1 commentsmore >>
Interview with Cathal Goulding Mon Dec 26, 2016 17:11 | Cathal Goulding
Trump, Russia and the CIA Sat Dec 10, 2016 18:23 | Gavin Mendel-Gleason
Why is my rent so high? Mon Oct 31, 2016 18:51 | Gavin Mendel-Gleason
Review of Capitalism: Competition, Conflict, Crises by Anwar Shaikh Sun Oct 30, 2016 16:21 | Gavin Mendel-Gleason
Electoralism vs Abstentionism (Or: Why You Should Run For Office) Fri Aug 26, 2016 17:07 | Slyvia Smith
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005
A bird's eye view of the vineyard
Syrian War Report ? March 23, 2017: Govt Forces Face Crisis In Northern Hama Thu Mar 23, 2017 16:45 | Scott
Moveable Feast Cafe 2017/03/23 ? Open Thread Thu Mar 23, 2017 06:30 | Herb Swanson
Russia, the EU and UN and a ?Deep State? whistle blower SITREP Wed Mar 22, 2017 19:09 | Scott
Comments of the Russian MID on the EU authority on human rights Wed Mar 22, 2017 17:10 | Scott
Syrian War Report ? March 21, 2017: Russia Set Military Base In YPG-Held Area Of Afrin? Tue Mar 21, 2017 14:38 | Scott
#Strike4Repeal: Strike Against the Citizens? Assembly? Wed Mar 08, 2017 07:51 | Máiréad Enright
Reflections on the Citizen?s Assembly (4): The Presentation of Dr. Dónal O?Mathúna Sun Feb 26, 2017 20:19 | GuestPost
Hague Justice Journal: Call for Papers Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:13 | GuestPost
Reflections on the Citizen?s Assembly (3): The Presentation of Dr. Joan McCarthy Tue Feb 14, 2017 14:01 | GuestPost
Reflections on the Citizens Assembly (2): The Presentation of Bobbie Farsides Tue Feb 07, 2017 05:44 | GuestPost
YOUTUBE&REPORT -Solidarity with Afghanistan War Refusenik Michael Lyons - Colchester Military Prison
HOW YOU CAN HELP?
1) Solidarity letters/postcards can be sent to Michael Lyons imprisoned military resister/ Afghan War Refusenik You can write to Michael Lyons at this address: 236 Michael Lyons, D Company, MCTC, Berechurch Hall Rd, Colchester CO2 9MU. England
2) Michael Lyon's is presently being held in Colchester Military Prison. It is a 700 mile round trip for his wife Lilian to visit him. If you would like to make a donation to alleviate travel expenses for her, make a cheque out to "London Catholic Worker", write "Lyons" on the back of the cheque and send it to "Michael Lyons Support" c/- Giuseppe Conlon House, 49 Mattison Rd. Harringey, London N4 1BG
3) Sat Sept 3rd - Solidarity with Michael Lyons Vigil outside Colchester Military Prison When? Sat Sept. 3rd. 3pm-5pm Where? Outside the Military Corrective Training Centre, Berechurch Hall Rd. Colchester CO2 9MU (Vigil will be at the junction with Stoneacre Road at the entrance to the military detention facility). More Info? Call Ciaron 079 392 90576
REPORT BY BEN GRIFFIN "Veterans for Peace"
Agust 6th. - SOLIDARITY VISIT INSIDE COLCHESTER MILITARY PRISON
On Saturday 6th of August I visited Michael Lyons in Colchester Military Prison. He is currently serving a seven month sentence for refusing to carry out weapons training in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan. Michael had already applied for conscientious objector status. With me were Martin Newell from London Catholic Worker, Stephan Gillies a local activist and Jill, Michael's mum.
The visit lasted two hours and Michael was found to be in good spirits. He is being held with soldiers being discharged from the Army so that he can't "infect the others that are staying in the Army".
His main concern is the well-being of his wife Lillian is based in Plymouth. Michael is not being paid by the Navy whilst he is serving his sentence so his wife is struggling to meet the bills whilst working in a low paid job. She is also finding it difficult to make the long journey from Plymouth to Colchester to see Michael. (See details how to support Michael and Lilian above)
Michael is keen to become involved with the Peace Movement in the future. He has shown other servicemen with objections to the war in Afghanistan that they presently have a choice. Six months in Afghanistan taking part in the further destruction of that country or six months in prison with a clear conscience. As a veteran of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan I know which option I would take.
Michael has a great sense of humour and is spending a lot of his time in prison in the library. When not in the library there is a lot of pointless ironing and cleaning to be carried out prior to inspections. This is just the sort of training that will be useful in civvie street to Michael and the others being discharged after their sentences!
Sat Augst 6th. - VIGIL OUTSIDE COLCHESTER MILITARY PRISON
Whilst inside a vigil was held outside the main gate to celebrate Michael's action and to encourage further resistance from inside the military. 27 people from London, Colchester and the surrounding area were present.
A shrine was erected by members of London Catholic Worker.
Giorgio from the organisation Payday http://refusingtokill.net/ spoke about the need for solidarity and inclusiveness in the peace movement in order to support refuseniks internationally.
Naomi from UK Friends of Bradley Manning http://www.ukfriendsofbradleymanning.org/ updated us on the persecution of Bradley.
Gwyn for the organisation At Ease spoke about the details of Michael's case and the work that she does in supporting soldiers who have a crises of conscience.
Ciaron O'Reilly of London Catholic Worker http://londoncatholicworker.org/ told of his own experiences of being in prison as a result of his peace activism. He also told us how valuable solidarity from the outside was in keeping him going whilst in prison.
Michael's mother Jill thanked everyone for supporting her son and told us how proud she was of him.
The local Stop the War convener told us about an upcoming march in London and about meetings they were holding
Martin and myself gave a report about our visit and encouraged others to write to Michael and visit him.
The visit and the vigil outside went very well. On the way back to London I phoned Michael's wife Lillian to let her know how Michael was doing. We are planning to go back at the start of September, more details to follow.
HOW YOU CAN HELP? 1) Solidarity letters/postcards can be sent to Michael Lyons imprisoned military resister/ Afghan War Refusenik You can write to Michael Lyons at this address: 236 Lyons, D Company, MCTC, Berechurch Hall Rd, Colchester CO2 9MU. England
2) Michael Lyon's is presently being held in Colchester Military Prison. It is a 700 mile round trip for his wife Lilian to visit him. If you would like to make a donation to alleviate travel expenses make a cheque out to "London Catholic Worker", write "Lyons" on the back of the cheque and send it to "Michael Lyons Support" c/- Giuseppe Conlon House, 49 Mattison Rd. Harringey, London N4 1BG
3) Sat Sept 3rd - Solidarity with Michael Lyons Vigil outside Colchester Military Prison When? Sat Sept. 3rd. 3pm-5pm Where? Outside the Military Corrective Training Centre, Berechurch Hall Rd. Colchester CO2 9MU (Vigil will be at the junction with Stoneacre Road at the entrance to the militarydetention facility). More Info? Call Ciaron 079 392 90576
Solidarity Homepage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxazNPBw8oo