Dublin no events posted in last week
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005
RTEs Sarah McInerney ? Fianna Fail?supporter? Anthony
Joe Duffy is dishonest and untrustworthy Anthony
Robert Watt complaint: Time for decision by SIPO Anthony
RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony
Waiting for SIPO Anthony Public Inquiry >>
Promoting Human Rights in IrelandHuman Rights in Ireland >>
What a PhD on the ?Politics of Smell? Tells Us About How Elites Use Obscure Woke Gobbledegook to Exc... Fri Dec 20, 2024 07:00 | Steven Tucker When a PhD on the "politics of smell" trended on X recently it exposed how elites use pretentious woke gobbledegook to exclude the people from power, much like previous generations used Latin and Greek, says Steven Tucker.
The post What a PhD on the “Politics of Smell” Tells Us About How Elites Use Obscure Woke Gobbledegook to Exclude the People From Power appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
News Round-Up Fri Dec 20, 2024 01:54 | Richard Eldred A summary of the most interesting stories in the past 24 hours that challenge the prevailing orthodoxy about the ?climate emergency?, public health ?crises? and the supposed moral defects of Western civilisation.
The post News Round-Up appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
White House Covered Up Biden?s Senility From Day One of Presidency Thu Dec 19, 2024 19:00 | Will Jones The?White House?intentionally hid from the public?Joe Biden's rapidly declining mental condition for his entire Presidency, according to a new report. This from the administration that waged war on misinformation.
The post White House Covered Up Biden’s Senility From Day One of Presidency appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
Trans Landowner Sues NHS for Refusing to Carry Out Third Sex Change Surgery Thu Dec 19, 2024 17:00 | Will Jones A?transgender?Scottish landowner who lives in a ?5m castle is suing the NHS after it refused to carry out a third sex change surgery, claiming negligence, discrimination and a breach of human rights.
The post Trans Landowner Sues NHS for Refusing to Carry Out Third Sex Change Surgery appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.
Factories Suffer Worst Output Since Covid as Budget Triggers Widespread Cancellations Thu Dec 19, 2024 15:00 | Will Jones Britain?s factories cut output at the fastest rate since the Covid lockdown as Rachel Reeves?s Budget was blamed for triggering a wave of project cancellations.
The post Factories Suffer Worst Output Since Covid as Budget Triggers Widespread Cancellations appeared first on The Daily Sceptic. Lockdown Skeptics >>
Voltaire, international edition
How Washington and Ankara Changed the Regime in Damascus , by Thierry Meyssan Tue Dec 17, 2024 06:58 | en
Statement by President Bashar al-Assad on the Circumstances Leading to his Depar... Mon Dec 16, 2024 13:26 | en
Voltaire, International Newsletter N?112 Fri Dec 13, 2024 15:34 | en
Israel Passes Law Allowing Four-Year Detention Without Trial or Evidence Fri Dec 13, 2024 15:27 | en
Jihadist Mohammed al-Bashir, new Syrian Prime Minister Fri Dec 13, 2024 15:24 | en Voltaire Network >>
|
Search author name words: A
SIPTU hotel workers in battle to defend minimum wage*
SIPTU members at the Davenport Hotel in Dublin mounted pickets this morning after being taken off the roster for refusing to sign new contracts reducing their national minimum wage rate by almost €1 an hour. When the legislation was being passed, the Minister for Finance, Brian Lenihan, gave assurances that existing employees of companies on €8.65 an hour could not have it reduced without their consent. However, the workers concerned, all women from Eastern Europe, have been brought into three meetings over the past three weeks and repeatedly told they must sign the new contracts or face being taken off the roster. They were not given a copy of the new contract, either in English or in their own languages.
*For further information contact:
*SIPTU Sector Organiser, Pat Ward; 087 228 348
*Padraig Yeates, PYE Communications; 087 260 5297 The women, who are from Lithuania and Poland and have worked at the
Davenport Hotel for between four and six years, refused to sign the new
contracts on 1st February when the new legislation came into force and have
been removed from the payroll ever since. SIPTU served strike notice on the
hotel on 9th February over the hotel’s decision which it regards as an
effective lockout.
Although the dispute involves only five people it has implications for over
300,000 workers affected by the new National Minimum Wage legislation and
related rates of pay in the hotels, contract cleaning, security and other
low pay sectors.
SIPTU Vice President Patricia King said; “These workers were brought to a
series of meetings where they were told they must agree to accept a
reduction in pay from €8.65 an hour to €7.79 to ‘support the Government’. If
they refused to do so they would be taken off the roster.”
“The other workers, the vast majority of whom are migrant workers, signed
the new contracts. Like the five women they were not given translations of
the document or copies. I think it showed incredible courage by these women
to take the stand they did,” Patricia King said.
“As far as I am aware, this is the first occasion on which the new law has
been tested in the industrial relations arena. The stakes are very high.
Every employer in low wage sectors of the economy will be watching this
dispute. If these workers are effectively locked out of their jobs and
penalised for seeking to defend their right to the €8.65 rate it will signal
a new race to the bottom.”
SIPTU sectoral organiser, Pat Ward, added; “This is bad for workers, bad for
decent employers, including many hoteliers who treat their workers decently
and negotiate change with us, as well as for the wider society because it
will suck even more money out of the economy and reduce living standards
across the board.”
“It means that the assurances given by Brian Lenihan last November that
existing employees would not be forced to sign new low pay contracts were
meaningless, as SIPTU and other unions predicted at the time. Fine Gael is
threatening to introduce even more draconian measures to undermine minimum
rates of pay set by Employment Regulation Orders in other low paid
industries.”
The Davenport Hotel is part of the O’Callaghan Hotel Group owned by Persian
Properties and property developer, Noel O’Callaghan, who has been a regular
financial contributor to Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael over the years. The Group
owns three other hotels in Dublin, the Alexander Hotel, the Mont Clare and
O’Callaghan Stephen’s Green. It also owns hotels in Gibraltar and in
Annapolis, Maryland, USA and is currently building a new hotel in Warsaw,
Poland for €21 million.
*For further information contact:***
* *
*SIPTU Sector Organiser, Pat Ward; 087 228 348*
* *
*Padraig Yeates, PYE Communications; 087 260 5297***
|
View Comments Titles Only
save preference
Comments (3 of 3)
Jump To Comment: 1 2 3Hi everyone! This is an issue at our own door step...we need to support the "Davenport 5"!!
These women can barely even afford rent let alone to provide food. We can't allow men like Noel O'Calleghan
to profit by cutting wages...as far as I know they have been extremely understaffed too!
The fact of the matter also is that the new contract was in English meant that even some of the staff did not realize what it was about.
For one man, Mr O'Calleghan (as his employees must address him) is a tyrant, very mean and inhumane. How can one man treat other like this!!
Never treat others as you would not like yourself to be treated, thats what I say,
Please people I beg you to support these honest women and spread the word! Take action, email them, call them, comment on their facebook,
boycot them and most importantly stand up for their dignity and your own!
here are some links to article about the situation,
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0218/1....html
http://insideireland.ie/2011/02/18/siptu-in-battle-to-d...8983/
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hotel-first-to-....html
http://www.swp.ie/news/workers-davenport-hotel-fight-ba.../4137
TAKE ACTION
Review the hotel group http://www.swp.ie/news/workers-davenport-hotel-fight-ba.../4137
http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g186605-d195407-....html
Comment on facebook http://www.facebook.com/ocallaghanhotelsdublin?sk=wall
Email Them info@ocallaghanhotels.com
call them +353 1 6073900
Please people come out of your shells and support!!!
Thanks a million
Why not tell the festival organizers to return the sponsorship and to put the monies back into staff wages!!!
We can't allow these people to provide a front for the Davenport,
Please, Please, PLEASE
Email this person and tell her venadoyle@stpatricksfestival.ie that receiving this sponsorship is wrong and inhumane!
http://www.eirigi.org/latest/latest220211.html