Podcast Mon Dec 05, 2022 03:26 | Anti-Empire
Paywalls and Stuff Sat Dec 03, 2022 22:43 | Anti-Empire
Ukraine and Wagner Team Up in the Murder... Sat Dec 03, 2022 07:40 | Anti-Empire
So Much for Counter-Battery Fire: Ukrain... Thu Dec 01, 2022 07:37 | Anti-Empire
EU Blocks Fertilizer to 3rd World, Lamba... Tue Nov 29, 2022 00:25 | Anti-Empire
A bird's eye view of the vineyard
Facepalm Paradigm (Andrei Martyanov) Sun Dec 04, 2022 21:22 | The Saker
Please visit Andrei?s website: https://smoothiex12.blogspo... and support him here: https://www.patreon.com/beP...
Stop the Empire?s War on the World: From Tom Lehrer to Robert Frost Sat Dec 03, 2022 06:30 | The Saker
By Batiushka for the Saker blog There always have been and always will be clashes and tensions between different civilisations. In the words of an old Tom Lehrer song, National
Moveable Feast Cafe 2022/12/02 ? Open Thread Fri Dec 02, 2022 19:30 | herb
2022/12/02 19:30:01Welcome to the ‘Moveable Feast Cafe’. The ‘Moveable Feast’ is an open thread where readers can post wide ranging observations, articles, rants, off topic and have animate discussions of
The ABC Of Power: Asians, Be Confident! China Orders Civilization To Man-Up Fri Dec 02, 2022 17:17 | The Saker
Xi?s China To Be The First Civilization In The Galaxy To Dispense Confidence By Decree By Thorsten J. Pattberg Why The Renewed Urgency? Before we explain Mr. Xi Jinping?s much
The Goldilocks War Fri Dec 02, 2022 16:07 | The Saker
by Dmitry Orlov for the Saker blog Are you happy with the way the war in the former Ukraine is going? Most people aren’t?for one reason or another. Some people
The Saker >>
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005
RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony
Waiting for SIPO Anthony
Formal complaint against Robert Watt Anthony
RTE bias complaint Anthony
Fergus Finlay and the maternity hospital ‘gotcha’ trap Anthony
Public Inquiry >>
A Blog About Human Rights
UN human rights chief calls for priority action ahead of climate summit Sat Oct 30, 2021 17:18 | Human Rights
5 Year Anniversary Of Kem Ley?s Death Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:34 | Human Rights
Poor Living Conditions for Migrants in Southern Italy Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:14 | Human Rights
Right to Water Mon Aug 03, 2020 19:13 | Human Rights
Human Rights Fri Mar 20, 2020 16:33 | Human Rights
Human Rights in Ireland >>
Dublin - Event Notice
Thursday January 01 1970
Shell 2 Sea protest outside Independent News Papers
arts and media |
Tuesday November 28, 2006 15:18 by Labour Youth
A protest has been called by Labour Youth for 1 pm outside Independent News Papers in protest at their biased and skewed coverage of the Shell to Sea Campaign. Independent NewsPapers head office are located on Middle Abbey Street just off O Connell Street.
The protest takes place in advance of a Shell 2 Sea protest outside Shell HQ on Leeson Street that starts at 2 pm.
Don’t believe everything you read in the papers – Indo lies for Shell!
Last Thursday’s RedC/Irish Independent poll concerning the Shell to Sea campaign shows inexcusable bias from Tony O’Reilly’s newspaper.
1. The poll questions reported in the paper were not the same questions that respondents were asked. While the Independent reported a 51% positive response rate to a question “Do you think the project should go ahead as planned?”, the actual question that was asked was “If there was no other option, should the project go ahead as planned?” This was confirmed by RTE on Primetime. As there ARE other options that could be taken (just ones that Shell refuse to take), asking the question in this way is pointless and a deliberate attempt to ensure a positive response. Asking “Would you eat live rats?” and “Would you eat live rats if there was no other food left on the planet?” are similarly, two very different things.
2. The Irish Independent completely left out the results of one question, when the results they got did not suit their anti-Shell to Sea agenda. When asked about their preferred development model for the Corrib gas project , 44% supported an off-shore processing of the gas; 29% supported a processing at Bellanaboy; and 17% wanted the project abandoned. This shows; according to the Independent’s own results, that more people in the area want an off-shore processing plant (also Shell to Sea’s main demand) than any other option. But as this didn’t suit the Independent’s agenda, it wasn’t published at all.
3. The Independent report highlights that 8% of respondents say that Shell to Sea speak for all of the local community but fails to emphasise that an additional 35% say that the campaign speaks for a majority of local residents. Asking if Shell to Sea speak for ALL of the local community is a question deliberately designed to generate a negative response, and is biased in the same way that asking if Shell to Sea spoke for NONE of the local community would be. That the Independent chose to highlight the results of this ridiculous question shows their bias in a clear light.
4. The following is a summary of the Independent poll results, using the same date, but presenting the information in a different way.
- Of those who expressed an opinion nearly 2:1 felt protests should go ahead.
- Over 50% of those who expressed an opinion said the protesters speak for a majority or all of the local community
- Of those who expressed an opinion, an overwhelming 67% either wanted the gas to be refined at sea (Shell to Sea’s demand) or for the project to be abandoned altogether.
- Well over half (59%) of respondents said that if they were in the position of the protesters, they would be doing exactly the same thing.
So why do the Independent choose to present the data in such a different way?
Could it be something to do with the fact that Tony O’Reilly has stakes in
Marathon (one of the partners in the Corrib gas project)?
Or that Shell have paid for full page colour ads in the same publication on more than one occasion already this year?
Or that the way they present the data is consistent with the anti-Shell to Sea line that the newspaper has taken to date, and to present it otherwise as above (but equally legitimately, according to the data) would not support this line?
The Irish Independent is not INDEPENDENT media. Make up your own mind.