Upcoming Events

Dublin | Environment

no events match your query!

New Events

Dublin

no events posted in last week

Blog Feeds

Anti-Empire

Anti-Empire

offsite link North Korea Increases Aid to Russia, Mos... Tue Nov 19, 2024 12:29 | Marko Marjanovi?

offsite link Trump Assembles a War Cabinet Sat Nov 16, 2024 10:29 | Marko Marjanovi?

offsite link Slavgrinder Ramps Up Into Overdrive Tue Nov 12, 2024 10:29 | Marko Marjanovi?

offsite link ?Existential? Culling to Continue on Com... Mon Nov 11, 2024 10:28 | Marko Marjanovi?

offsite link US to Deploy Military Contractors to Ukr... Sun Nov 10, 2024 02:37 | Field Empty

Anti-Empire >>

Human Rights in Ireland
Promoting Human Rights in Ireland

Human Rights in Ireland >>

Lockdown Skeptics

The Daily Sceptic

offsite link Carole Cadwalladr is Guilty of ?Defemition? Fri Dec 06, 2024 13:00 | James Alexander
Carol Cadwalladr's latest 'analysis' of what she calls the 'broligarchy' is a feverish mishmash of Trump Derangement Syndrome, cod feminism and Delingpole-esque levels of conspiracy theory gobbledegook, says James Alexander
The post Carole Cadwalladr is Guilty of ?Defemition? appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Dons Back University of Buckingham Vice-Chancellor ?Ousted For Anti-Woke Views? Fri Dec 06, 2024 11:00 | Toby Young
Senior academics at Buckingham have sent a legal letter to the University Council criticising it for not following due process before suspending the Vice-Chancellor following vexatious allegations from his estranged wife.
The post Dons Back University of Buckingham Vice-Chancellor ?Ousted For Anti-Woke Views? appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Smoggie Queens Shows How Far BBC Comedy Has Fallen Fri Dec 06, 2024 09:00 | Steven Tucker
Smoggie Queens shows how far BBC comedy has fallen, says Steven Tucker. Let's be honest, there's only one reason the corporation made this awful TV programme, and it's certainly not because it's funny.
The post Smoggie Queens Shows How Far BBC Comedy Has Fallen appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link In Episode 22 of the Sceptic: Sam Bidwell on Britain?s Open Borders, Fleur Meston on the ?Assisted D... Fri Dec 06, 2024 07:00 | Richard Eldred
In Episode 22 of the Sceptic: Sam Bidwell on Britain?s open borders experiment, Fleur Meston on the "assisted dying" Bill and Madeline Grant on the parliamentary class of 2024.
The post In Episode 22 of the Sceptic: Sam Bidwell on Britain?s Open Borders, Fleur Meston on the ?Assisted Dying? Bill and Madeline Grant on the 2024 Parliamentary Class appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link News Round-Up Fri Dec 06, 2024 01:14 | Richard Eldred
A summary of the most interesting stories in the past 24 hours that challenge the prevailing orthodoxy about the ?climate emergency?, public health ?crises? and the supposed moral defects of Western civilisation.
The post News Round-Up appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

Lockdown Skeptics >>

Voltaire Network
Voltaire, international edition

offsite link What is changing in the Middle East , by Thierry Meyssan Tue Dec 03, 2024 07:08 | en

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?110 Fri Nov 29, 2024 15:01 | en

offsite link Verbal ceasefire in Lebanon Fri Nov 29, 2024 14:52 | en

offsite link Russia Prepares to Respond to the Armageddon Wanted by the Biden Administration ... Tue Nov 26, 2024 06:56 | en

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?109 Fri Nov 22, 2024 14:00 | en

Voltaire Network >>

The Last Battle for Carrickmines Castle (...or is it?)

category dublin | environment | news report author Monday August 16, 2004 16:35author by redjade Report this post to the editors

m50 to plow through South Co. Dublin medieval Castle remains

{ photos by redjade } (c)
Archeologists dismantle castle wall (Fosse)
Archeologists dismantle castle wall (Fosse)

Two years on, the battle continues....

Related Link: http://www.carrickminescastle.org

JCB's and Bulldozers plow through archeo dig where massacre took place in 1642
JCB's and Bulldozers plow through archeo dig where massacre took place in 1642

dscn7638carrickaug16.jpg

dscn7640carrickaug16.jpg

Vincent Salafia on the phone to lawyers, activists and media
Vincent Salafia on the phone to lawyers, activists and media

author by waiting for the rapture at tarapublication date Thu Aug 19, 2004 22:02author address author phone Report this post to the editors

“We have agreed to a temporary cessation of work on the basis that the constitutional issue will go to a full hearing next week.”

Related Link: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breaking/2004/08/19/story162584.html
author by eeeekkkkkpublication date Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:25author address author phone Report this post to the editors

CUT/PASTE from Unison.ie today - as it requires registration:

Campaigner to challenge law that allows completion of M50

AN environmentalist is to challenge in the High Court the legality of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act, introduced only a month ago to facilitate completion of the M50 at Carrickmines Castle.

Justice Michael Peart yesterday granted Dominic Dunne leave to seek injunctions restraining motorway development works, which resumed on Monday, until the constitutionality of the new legislation is determined by the court.

He told Coleman FitzGerald, counsel for Mr Dunne, of Benburb Street, Dublin, that short notice of the campaigner's intentions could be served on the Environment Minister Martin Cullen and Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council.

Mr FitzGerald told the court the act would be challenged as invalid on constitutional grounds and with regard to provisions of EU law - especially in respect of environmental impact assessments.

He said that on Monday, diggers and archaeologists had started to remove walls and artefacts and unless they were restrained by a court order from demolishing or altering the medieval remains, there would be nothing left to protect.

Mr FitzGerald said the act gave the minister virtually unfettered powers to decide on issues relating to any national monument affected by the completion of the M50.

He said the legislature had delegated to Mr Cullen, a member of the executive, its powers to make laws to an extent prohibited by the Constitution.

He said the act also failed to comply with the Constitution by allowing allow Mr Cullen to give directions to demolish a national monument.

Mr FitzGerald said Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council, in earlier proceedings relating to Carrickmines Castle, had given an undertaking in the High Court not to carry out development work. However, the council now claimed the 2004 act superseded earlier proceedings.

author by paul cpublication date Mon Aug 16, 2004 17:48author address author phone Report this post to the editors

and a great example of vinnies new thumbnailing feature i had no idea what it was he had done until i saw that...

author by redjadepublication date Mon Aug 16, 2004 17:21author address author phone Report this post to the editors

and the good people that defended it...

indymedia: http://tinyurl.com/6rccf

author by vincentpublication date Mon Aug 16, 2004 17:03author address author phone Report this post to the editors

Work began on both sides of the Carrickmines Castle site at 8.30 am this morning. Road-building equipment, consisting of 35 tonne diggers, bulldozers and 50 tonne trucks began demolition of the features behind the farmhouse. The affected area which contains a mill race, kilns, moat, defensive wall and an industrial manufacturing area. A tree cutting crew began work on trees along side of the castle gate.

Across the road, archaeological works are still under way, and a team of archaeologists is busy removing the remaining section of defensive fosse. Ironically, the section of wall being removed is in the same location as where the castle wall was originally breached in the siege of 1642, leading to the partial destruction of the castle keep.

This morning a solicitors’ letter was sent to the Minister for the Environment, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, the National Roads Authority and the Attorney General this morning, warning them that the works are illegal, since the National Monuments Act 2004 is unconstitutional. They were given until 5:00 pm to respond. We are expecting to return to the High Court int he morning and seek an interloctury injunction.

At their last Court appearance, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown gave undertakings that they would not enter the site, until all the legal procedures had been followed, and they returned to court to have the undertakings relieved. It was on this basis that Judge Kearns did not grant an injunction. Having not returned to court first, the council has breached their promise to the Court, and acted in bad faith.

The battle for Carrickmines will continue. No amount of bulldozing, demolition or excavatio will change the fact that this is a national monument, and that the current motorway path is illegal.

lastbattleforsite.jpg

Related Link: http://www.carrickminescastle.org
author by redjadepublication date Mon Aug 16, 2004 16:42author address author phone Report this post to the editors

{ photos by redjade } (c)

dscn7649carrickaug16.jpg

Professional Archeology, Irish Style
Professional Archeology, Irish Style

dscn7654carrickaug16.jpg

Eamon O'Hare, Director of Transportation of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council
Eamon O'Hare, Director of Transportation of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council

The final irony - a road named for a castle that can no longer be viewed.
The final irony - a road named for a castle that can no longer be viewed.

Related Link: http://www.carrickminescastle.org
Number of comments per page
  
 
© 2001-2024 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy