Upcoming Events

National | Miscellaneous

no events match your query!

New Events

National

no events posted in last week

Blog Feeds

The Saker
A bird's eye view of the vineyard

offsite link Alternative Copy of thesaker.is site is available Thu May 25, 2023 14:38 | Ice-Saker-V6bKu3nz
Alternative site: https://thesaker.si/saker-a... Site was created using the downloads provided Regards Herb

offsite link The Saker blog is now frozen Tue Feb 28, 2023 23:55 | The Saker
Dear friends As I have previously announced, we are now “freezing” the blog.? We are also making archives of the blog available for free download in various formats (see below).?

offsite link What do you make of the Russia and China Partnership? Tue Feb 28, 2023 16:26 | The Saker
by Mr. Allen for the Saker blog Over the last few years, we hear leaders from both Russia and China pronouncing that they have formed a relationship where there are

offsite link Moveable Feast Cafe 2023/02/27 ? Open Thread Mon Feb 27, 2023 19:00 | cafe-uploader
2023/02/27 19:00:02Welcome to the ‘Moveable Feast Cafe’. The ‘Moveable Feast’ is an open thread where readers can post wide ranging observations, articles, rants, off topic and have animate discussions of

offsite link The stage is set for Hybrid World War III Mon Feb 27, 2023 15:50 | The Saker
Pepe Escobar for the Saker blog A powerful feeling rhythms your skin and drums up your soul as you?re immersed in a long walk under persistent snow flurries, pinpointed by

The Saker >>

Public Inquiry
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005

offsite link RTEs Sarah McInerney ? Fianna Fail?supporter? Anthony

offsite link Joe Duffy is dishonest and untrustworthy Anthony

offsite link Robert Watt complaint: Time for decision by SIPO Anthony

offsite link RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony

offsite link Waiting for SIPO Anthony

Public Inquiry >>

Human Rights in Ireland
Promoting Human Rights in Ireland

Human Rights in Ireland >>

Lockdown Skeptics

The Daily Sceptic

offsite link Keir Starmer Says He Has No Regrets About Last Six Months and Would Do it All Again Fri Dec 20, 2024 09:00 | Will Jones
Keir Starmer has shocked observers across the political divide after he said he has no regrets about the decisions he has made in the past six months and would do it all again. That's our Tin Ear Keir.
The post Keir Starmer Says He Has No Regrets About Last Six Months and Would Do it All Again appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link What a PhD on the ?Politics of Smell? Tells Us About How Elites Use Obscure Woke Gobbledegook to Exc... Fri Dec 20, 2024 07:00 | Steven Tucker
When a PhD on the "politics of smell" trended on X recently it exposed how elites use pretentious woke gobbledegook to exclude the people from power, much like previous generations used Latin and Greek, says Steven Tucker.
The post What a PhD on the “Politics of Smell” Tells Us About How Elites Use Obscure Woke Gobbledegook to Exclude the People From Power appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link News Round-Up Fri Dec 20, 2024 01:54 | Richard Eldred
A summary of the most interesting stories in the past 24 hours that challenge the prevailing orthodoxy about the ?climate emergency?, public health ?crises? and the supposed moral defects of Western civilisation.
The post News Round-Up appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link White House Covered Up Biden?s Senility From Day One of Presidency Thu Dec 19, 2024 19:00 | Will Jones
The?White House?intentionally hid from the public?Joe Biden's rapidly declining mental condition for his entire Presidency, according to a new report. This from the administration that waged war on misinformation.
The post White House Covered Up Biden’s Senility From Day One of Presidency appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Trans Landowner Sues NHS for Refusing to Carry Out Third Sex Change Surgery Thu Dec 19, 2024 17:00 | Will Jones
A?transgender?Scottish landowner who lives in a ?5m castle is suing the NHS after it refused to carry out a third sex change surgery, claiming negligence, discrimination and a breach of human rights.
The post Trans Landowner Sues NHS for Refusing to Carry Out Third Sex Change Surgery appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

Lockdown Skeptics >>

Search words: ploughshares

Catholic Worker 5 sent foward to Kilrush Circuit Court, June 24th

category national | miscellaneous | news report author Saturday May 17, 2003 17:02author by Damien Moran - Catholic Worker Movementauthor email pitstopploughshares at hotmail dot comauthor phone +353-879184552 Report this post to the editors

Report of events from yesterday's appearance at Ennis District court
48812_1.GIF


Yesterday's appearance at Ennis Eire-Og G.A.A. Clubhouse/District Court marked our transition from the latter to the Circuit court.

Before entering the courtroom, the Pit-Stop ploughshares group (Deirdre Clancy, Nuin Dunlop, Karen Fallon, Damien Moran, Ciaron O'Reilly) and some friends held a short prayer vigil in the car park, remembering the "Coalition of the Killing's" continuing onslaught against the Iraqi people and their resources. Prayers were also submitted reminding us that when criminal activity is legalised peacemaking is criminalised.

The book of evidence was served by the State Prosecutor, Martin Leenane, albeit after he rushed back down to the local Garda Station to rectify the opening charge sheet. Following three and a half months hard graft over the casebook, he seemed willing to charge us only with criminal damage to the SRS Hangar, totally forgetting our disarmament of the US Navy plane!! Bizarre incompetence - or symptoms of sleep deprivation due to massive overtime spent defending the interests of our Imperial Overlords; you decide ...

Nevertheless, it at least provided one humorous interlude during an otherwise educational insight into a renewed aggressive approach towards us by the State authorities.

This began with a slanderous Irish Times front page political report by embedded journo Arthur Beasley on Wednesday May 14th. According to someone he variously described as a "well-informed individual" and an "unattributable source", the combined cost of repair of the US Navy warplane will be 4 million Euros.

Furthermore, the two original libelous claims, that a Garda officer had been "assaulted" and "hospitalised", both refuted by a Guarda Press Office statement issued the same day, he now revives by means of the ambiguous euphemism that we "overpowered" a Garda.

His report also implies that the Irish Government or Aer Rianta are likely to pick up the bill - an unsubtle hint to the taxpayers that the Government may wish to have them subsidise Ireland's complicity in the US war-machine's belligerent crimes against peace and humanity.

Suspicion of this scheme is heightened by a title in today's Irish Independant - "Taxpayer's Bill for Jet Attack hits 4 Million Euros" - suggesting that Irish taxpayers will be held responsible for losses to the US-government.

Meanwhile, questions raised in the Dail regarding any legal basis for the taxpayer to foot this bill have been studiously and repeatedly avoided by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Mr. Brian Cowen.

An application to normalise our extreme bail conditions, specifically the daily signing-on obligation, was rejected out-of-hand by Inspector Tom Kennedy and Judge Joseph Mangan.

The pre-trial hearing has been set for June 24th in Kilrush Circuit Court, Co. Clare {Please refer to map of Ireland}.

We look forward to explaining our actions in court, and being acquitted while putting the war and the Irish government's complicity therein on trial.

Related Link: http://www.ploughsharesireland.org
author by Ciaron O'Reilly - Dublin Catholic Worker/Pit Stop Ploughsharespublication date Wed May 21, 2003 10:36author address author phone Report this post to the editors

We're not angry or desperate...but much appreciate your empathy and solidarity. We're ready to bring the disarmament witness into the courts in a spirit of nonviolence and truthtelling. Hopefully the jury will reach the same conclusion as the L:iverpool one in '96 when cnfronted by 4 women accused of over £2million disarmament to a british Aerospace Hawk Fighter (presently bombing Aceh) to be exported to the genocidal Indonesian military.
Happy East Timor Independence Day (today)
Who would have thought? then or now?
Peace & solidarity
Ciaron

Related Link: http://www.ploughsharesireland.org
author by mickpublication date Mon May 19, 2003 13:33author address author phone Report this post to the editors

Surely this is an issue that the iawm must give urgent priority to. Whether you agree with direction or not these six people have to be defended .
What's going on here ? Six people angry that the Irish government is facilitating an illegal war do a bit of damage to a warplane.The American govt give the orders to the Irish government to crack down. The press whip up the cost of the damage -a million ?two million ? a billion? Who is making the estimate -somebody who works for Harburton or an ex employee of Enron perhaps?
So now these people are up on charges that could see them banged up for ten years. It all stinks of a big , state orchestrated frame - up.

author by Justicepublication date Sun May 18, 2003 17:25author address author phone Report this post to the editors

As you sow.... so shall you reap. NWaaw, Haaaw, Haaaaw!

author by Justin Morahan - Peace Peoplepublication date Sun May 18, 2003 11:33author address author phone Report this post to the editors

All six Shannon protestors, Mary Kelly and the five Catholic Workers, Nuin Dunlop, Karen Fallon, Deirdre Clancy, Damian Moran and Ciaron O'Reilly need our support now
Gone are the heady days of a hundred thousand on the streets protesting against the war and the use of Shannon airport.
Instead they now encounter the bleak atmosphere of a country courtroom. Ennis was a dreary place calculated to drain away optimism and idealism and replace it with the rules of law, and order.
If you are an anti-war person and are reading this, please please don't let them down now. Don't let them be criminalised. They need support
desperately. Please let us stand by them.

author by The Timespublication date Sat May 17, 2003 18:25author address author phone Report this post to the editors

The Irish Times

May 17, 2003

HEADLINE: Cost of damage to US aircraft rises to E2.5m

BYLINE: By GORDON DEEGAN

The estimated cost of damage to a US navy aircraft in an alleged attack by five anti-war activists at Shannon Airport last February is now set at E2.5 million, five times the original estimate of E500,000, Ennis District Court was told yesterday.

Solicitor for the five, Mr Joe Noonan, told the court that given the gravity of the charge, he would be seeking senior counsel and junior counsel for his clients for their trial next month at Ennis Circuit Court.

He said: "Though not in the Book of Evidence, I am told by the State Solicitor that evidence will be adduced that the estimated cost of damage is now set at E2.5 million." He remarked: "The estimated costs of damage to the plane has been going up and down like a yo-yo." Yesterday, the Book of Evidence was served on the five: seminarian Mr Damien Moran (22), freelance editor Deirdre Clancy (32), US citizen Ms Nuin Dunlop (31), Mr Ciaran O'Reilly (42), and Scottish woman Ms Karen Fallon (30), who are all charged with the criminal damage of a US navy aircraft on February 4th at Shannon Airport.

Two of the five, Mr O'Reilly and Ms Dunlop wore black T-shirts in court yesterday with the words "Pit-Stop Ploughshares Disarm US War Plane, Shannon Airport, February 2003" on them. All five were returned for trial to Ennis Circuit Court on June 24th.

Along with the five members of the Catholic Workers' Movement, a sixth anti-war activist, Ms Mary Kelly (50), also appeared at Ennis District Court yesterday where she was also returned for trial to Ennis Circuit Court on June 24th after the Book of Evidence was served on her. Ms Kelly is charged with the criminal damage of the same aircraft on January 29th, five days prior to the alleged attack by the five Catholic Workers' Movement members.

In his legal aid application, Mr Noonan also sought senior counsel for Ms Kelly in her upcoming trial "given the gravity of the offence and her exposure to a potential ten year jail term".

He said: "It is a very major penalty hanging over my client." Though no figure of the estimated cost of damage was mentioned in court in relation to Ms Kelly's alleged attack on the same US navy aircraft, it is understood that the estimated cost is now around E1.5 million - the most recent estimate in court was according to gardai "in excess of E100,000".

In court yesterday, Judge Joseph Mangan refused Mr Noonan's request for senior counsel for his clients, agreeing to his legal aid application for junior counsel only. Mr Noonan also asked to have his six clients' bail conditions relaxed. The five members of the Catholic Workers' Movement have to sign on each day at designated Garda stations, while Ms Mary Kelly has to sign on three times a week at Skibbereen Garda station.

All applications to have bail conditions relaxed were refused. Currently all six remain banned from Co Clare but will return for their trial at Ennis Circuit Court on June 24th.

 
© 2001-2024 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy