Upcoming Events

National | Miscellaneous

no events match your query!

New Events

National

no events posted in last week

Blog Feeds

Public Inquiry
Interested in maladministration. Estd. 2005

offsite link RTEs Sarah McInerney ? Fianna Fail?supporter? Anthony

offsite link Joe Duffy is dishonest and untrustworthy Anthony

offsite link Robert Watt complaint: Time for decision by SIPO Anthony

offsite link RTE in breach of its own editorial principles Anthony

offsite link Waiting for SIPO Anthony

Public Inquiry >>

Human Rights in Ireland
Promoting Human Rights in Ireland

Human Rights in Ireland >>

Lockdown Skeptics

The Daily Sceptic

offsite link Keir Starmer Says He Has No Regrets About Last Six Months and Would Do it All Again Fri Dec 20, 2024 09:00 | Will Jones
Keir Starmer has shocked observers across the political divide after he said he has no regrets about the decisions he has made in the past six months and would do it all again. That's our Tin Ear Keir.
The post Keir Starmer Says He Has No Regrets About Last Six Months and Would Do it All Again appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link What a PhD on the ?Politics of Smell? Tells Us About How Elites Use Obscure Woke Gobbledegook to Exc... Fri Dec 20, 2024 07:00 | Steven Tucker
When a PhD on the "politics of smell" trended on X recently it exposed how elites use pretentious woke gobbledegook to exclude the people from power, much like previous generations used Latin and Greek, says Steven Tucker.
The post What a PhD on the “Politics of Smell” Tells Us About How Elites Use Obscure Woke Gobbledegook to Exclude the People From Power appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link News Round-Up Fri Dec 20, 2024 01:54 | Richard Eldred
A summary of the most interesting stories in the past 24 hours that challenge the prevailing orthodoxy about the ?climate emergency?, public health ?crises? and the supposed moral defects of Western civilisation.
The post News Round-Up appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link White House Covered Up Biden?s Senility From Day One of Presidency Thu Dec 19, 2024 19:00 | Will Jones
The?White House?intentionally hid from the public?Joe Biden's rapidly declining mental condition for his entire Presidency, according to a new report. This from the administration that waged war on misinformation.
The post White House Covered Up Biden’s Senility From Day One of Presidency appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

offsite link Trans Landowner Sues NHS for Refusing to Carry Out Third Sex Change Surgery Thu Dec 19, 2024 17:00 | Will Jones
A?transgender?Scottish landowner who lives in a ?5m castle is suing the NHS after it refused to carry out a third sex change surgery, claiming negligence, discrimination and a breach of human rights.
The post Trans Landowner Sues NHS for Refusing to Carry Out Third Sex Change Surgery appeared first on The Daily Sceptic.

Lockdown Skeptics >>

Voltaire Network
Voltaire, international edition

offsite link How Washington and Ankara Changed the Regime in Damascus , by Thierry Meyssan Tue Dec 17, 2024 06:58 | en

offsite link Statement by President Bashar al-Assad on the Circumstances Leading to his Depar... Mon Dec 16, 2024 13:26 | en

offsite link Voltaire, International Newsletter N?112 Fri Dec 13, 2024 15:34 | en

offsite link Israel Passes Law Allowing Four-Year Detention Without Trial or Evidence Fri Dec 13, 2024 15:27 | en

offsite link Jihadist Mohammed al-Bashir, new Syrian Prime Minister Fri Dec 13, 2024 15:24 | en

Voltaire Network >>

Yesterday's Trial of Peace Activists in Tulla

category national | miscellaneous | news report author Friday March 28, 2003 14:10author by Mad Butcher Report this post to the editors

Partial Report on trial of peace activists in Tulla, Clare, Yesterday.

As assault charges were dropped yesterday (27th March) against Scottish poet and novelist Robert Fulton, peace campaigners are confident that the DPP will now bring charges against Sgt Thomas McGrath of Finglas Garda Station and Sgt Kiernan Murphy of Tallaght Garda Station.

Peace campaigners are expecting the DPP to charge both sergeants with deliberately lying in Tulla District court on March 27th.

In his written statement Sgt Kienan Murphy wrote:

"Robert Fulton...ducked his head down and without warning charged at me
in a rugby style charge. He hit me with his shoulder into my stomach. He was standing about five to six yards in front of me when he made this charge."

In his written statement Sgt Thomas McGrath explained that:

"a protester put down his head and charges at Sgt. Murphy."

"Sgt Murphy was hit into the stomach by the protester when charged at
him."

"The protester had charged at a distance of approximately 20 feet."

Inspector Tom Kennedy repeatedly used this evidence when Robert Fulton was in the dock.

However, using photographic evidence Robert Fulton was able to prove that he was at the most three feet from the guards, and that no rugby style charge had ever taken place. His assault charges were dismissed.

Protestors are now confident that the DPP will be pressing charges against Sgt Kieran Murphy and Sgt Thomas McGrath.

Tallaght Garda Station can be contacted at:

01 6666 000

Finglas Garda Station can be contacted at:

01 6667 500

DPP can be contacted at: 01 6789 222

For more info on Robert Fulton (aka Rab Swannock Fulton) look at the
'About Author' section of his web novel The Kiss which can be accessed at:
http://student.nuigalway.ie/~writers/kiss/author.html

Another Garda testified that she was threatened and intimidated by having her photograph taken while arresting someone. Yes you can take a photo in a threatening and abusive manner.

4 of the defendants were found guilty of public order offences, but the two assault charges were dropped as were four public order charges. The prosecution took the “violent extremists” line….which you may have heard somewhere before.

The trials of as many as 25 people in connection to opposition to Shannon’s use by the U.S. Military, the armed troops, razor wire, and police check points which surround the airport, the soldiers recently seen on the streets of Dublin, show that the government is scared.

Non-violent direct action has forced three of the charter companies that were carrying troops through Shannon to pull out, and the government is rapidly running out of options. Thus it resorts to intimidation.

However they are not being successful, nor will they be. This can clearly be seen by the recent spread of non-violent direct action, the occupation of an Aviation Authority Office in Dublin on Monday, the blockade of a Top Oil truck on the same day, the blockade of the Dail last Thursday, the picket on a Top Oil filling station in Dublin also last Thursday, the occupation of a Fianna Fail office in Cork last Saturday, and the march to take place in Shannon this Sunday.

The fact that hundreds of Garda didn’t manage to accumulate enough evidence to convict on the two assault charges and half the public order charges, clearly give lie to the assertions from various quarters that March 1st was going to be a day of “violent extremism”.

4 people convicted yesterday, one person fined 100 euro, two people fined 400 euro and bound to the peace for two years and banned from County Clare for two years, and one person got probation.

All support which has been received thus far is appreciated and more will be needed, both for this lot and others.

See Also:

Open Letter to the Peace Movement Re:Defendants

http://www.indymedia.ie/cgi-bin/newswire.cgi?id=37541


Shannon Solidarity
http://www.indymedia.ie/cgi-bin/newswire.cgi?id=33783&start=530

author by Clarepublication date Fri Mar 28, 2003 14:28author address Galwayauthor phone Report this post to the editors

Was there enough money raised to cover those fines?

You know the way some of ye are banned from Clare - does that mean if ye're heading from Galway to Limerick you have to go by Athlone?!

author by Joepublication date Fri Mar 28, 2003 15:19author address author phone Report this post to the editors

You say "Another Garda testified that she was threatened and intimidated by having her photograph taken while arresting someone. Yes you can take a photo in a threatening and abusive manner." Was there a finding on this (I was a photographer found guilty of abusive behaviour or some similar charge). If so this could have some serious repercussions for the future. I guess the Gardai are fed up with going to all the bother of concoting stories to frame people only to have photgraphic evidence proving them liars.

author by Mad Butcherpublication date Fri Mar 28, 2003 16:50author address author phone Report this post to the editors

The photographer was not convicted....I thought it was obvious, but then this is the legal system!!
Also mistake above there was only *one* assault charge and no convictions on that, and no convictions on four public order charges, so basically 3 public order charges were contested and found against the defendants. In at least two of them there will be appeals. We will need money for appeals and there is still legal costs to be covered. Maximum support is needed with this (and with other groups of defendants) as they can't really be left doing it themselves.

author by blisteredpublication date Fri Mar 28, 2003 20:28author address author phone Report this post to the editors

He was accused by the Inspecter Kennide of being the Gnawing ones leeder - he replied that it was not so and that if anything the 'march was seriously lacking in leadership'. Tell it like it is pope dude

 
© 2001-2024 Independent Media Centre Ireland. Unless otherwise stated by the author, all content is free for non-commercial reuse, reprint, and rebroadcast, on the net and elsewhere. Opinions are those of the contributors and are not necessarily endorsed by Independent Media Centre Ireland. Disclaimer | Privacy